Estimator/Engineer – Grand Rapids, Michigan
Disher is currently partnering with a Grand Rapids area precision machining organization in their strategic search for a Estimator/Engineer.
This Position will coordinate the activities associated with request for quotes (RFQ) and new product launch (NPL) awarded to the company. They will also provide solutions to production issues through improved methods using new and/or existing processes as well as lead continuous improvement initiatives throughout the plant.
The company was created in 1952 and has remained a family owned business. Flexible work schedules, the kitchen brew tap and frequent visits from the owner’s wife to bring cookies, make this company a great place to work.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods, utilize knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes and tooling.
- Develop a data driven strategy to determine future manufacturing capability requirements and manufacturing business opportunities.
- Consult with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials or parts. Price and re-evaluate the profitability of parts as required.
- Participate as an integral member of the planning and design team concerning product (or process) design, tooling, and quality measures to ensure efficient production methods.
- Provide production processing times (set up, cycle, load, efficiencies, etc.), cleaning methods, handling and packaging recommendations, staffing requirements, and all related costs to the estimator.
- Recommend machining, fabrication, and outside processing vendors based on customer needs.
- Ensure all New Product Launch (NPL) activities in manufacturing meet the expectations developed during the design phase and own the NPL from cradle to grave.
- Coordinate with engineering efforts to determine part manufacturing processes, so that they can be compiled in a costing report, which will result in a written quotation to the customer.
- Interact with customers and vendors to obtain all necessary information regarding quote requirements and awarding of new business via fax, e-mail, and direct contact.
- 4-year engineering degree with 2+ years of manufacturing experience including experience with mills, grinders, lathes, and metal machining of chips
- High School Diploma or GED required with 2+ years of precision machining experience and manufacturing engineering.
- Innovation and analytical approach are required and inspire teamwork.
- Proficiency with computer programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
- CAM (Partmaker or equivalent), CAD (Solidworks or equivalent) and CNC programming skills a plus.
- Experience with APQPs, tooling and gaging required.
- Have a working knowledge, clear understanding, and a passion for the lean manufacturing principles.
- Experience implementing continuous improvement activities to enhance quality, improve delivery, reduce costs, and improve safety in a manufacturing environment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Written communication skills, including charting, memos, graphs and spreadsheets.
- Ability to utilize internet to research products and services pertaining to estimating and job planning
- Ability to effectively present and receive information in one-on one and small group situations.
- Must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States of America for any employer without restrictions or expiration.
Please apply and attach resume at the following link:
Disher is a full-service product development and engineering services firm in West Michigan. Our engineering team is highly technical and diversified, serving in a variety of markets including automotive, office furniture, alternative energy, and medical. Our capabilities span from napkin through launch, providing numerous opportunities for us to partner with clients in product and process development, as well as in talent identification and attraction.